- Astragalus is an adaptogenic herb and immune system restorative, used in China for thousands of years for a wide range of conditions.
- Astragalus has antimicrobial and immunomodulatory activity, helping to regulate Th1 and Th2 balance, increasing macrophage, immunoglobulin and natural killer cell activity, production and function and is popular in China for the treatment and prevention of colds, flu, asthma and other respiratory illnesses.
- Supports cardiovascular and metabolic health, supports adrenals, and has been shown to regulate cardiac calcium levels and play a role in regulating blood pressure and triglyceride levels. Astragalus has also been used for its blood sugar-regulating properties in China.
- It is considered helpful for male infertility issues as it is used to support male sperm motility. It is considered a kidney protector and is used in cancer protocols as it can help to reduce the toxicity of conventional therapies.
- Traditional Chinese medicine clinicians do not use Astragalus (Huang Qi) in active infection. It should not be used alongside lithium medication or immunosuppressants.